| Utilizes high frequency sound waves and other diagnostic techniques to produce and evaluate ultrasound images and related data that are used by physicians to render a medical diagnosis. Acquires and maintains specialized technical skills and medical knowledge to render quality patient care. |
1. Maintains established hospital and departmental policies and procedures, objectives, performance improvement program, safety, environment of care, management of information, and infection control standards.
2. Utilizes excellent customer service skills at all times.
3. Complies with federal and state law and accrediting and licensing agencies at all times, to include but not limited to, JCAHO and federal compliance regulations.
4. Correlates the clinical history with the test to be performed and improvises on standard procedures when necessary to assure a quality scan.
5. Utilizes knowledge of complex instrumentation to extract the finest quality performance from the equipment.
6. Calibrates, adjusts, and maintains ultrasound and peripheral equipment.
7. Obtains consistent and optional image quality scan and interprets it but does not give an official reading.
8. Assesses and prepares patients of all ages, including neonatal/pediatric and adult patients, for examinations and explains procedure to patient and/or family while performing the examination as appropriate.
9. Provides basic patient care and comfort: Maintains infection control and universal precautions as it reflects to patient care and equipment, maintains BCLS certification.
10. Prepares written documentation as required by the profession and the department, such as procedures worksheets, audit results, progress reports and other such reports.
11. Uses initiative and independent judgment when necessary, especially to handle stressful and emergency situations in an appropriate manner.
12. Maintains order, cleanliness, and supplies in rooms, and promotes a safe environment.
13. Properly labels the permanent recordings, lab specimens, and folders of the scans for interpretation and filing; maintains daily log and computer data.
14. Performs ultrasound procedures and tasks, properly and in a timely manner.
15. Assists in the training of techniques to staff and students.
16. Evaluates new products and equipment for possible future purposes.
17. Establishes and maintains positive ethical working relationships with patients, employees, physicians and general public.
18. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, inservice and department meetings and workshops.
19. Recognizes and makes recommendations for changes to policies and procedures which would improve the department workflow.
20. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.