An established laboratory in the Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology is seeking an RAIII that can perform , under minimal supervision, a wide variety of complex tasks requiring practical understanding of scientific techniques and advanced knowledge of scientific theory.
- Animal handling and colony management in a research laboratory
- Knowledge of and experience in tissue culture techniques, sterile methods, gene transfer and related methods
- Knowledge of and experience in molecular biology is essential: elementary DNA isolation, cloning, gene transfer
and related methods; elementary protein techniques such as recombinant protein expression in one or more systems
(bacteria, yeast, insect cells, mammalian cells), immunoprecipitation, Western blotting, and related techniques
- Desire to learn new techniques such as flow cytometry, flow sorting, affinity chromatography, liquid chromatography, and
other specialized methods used in our laboratory
- Prefer 4 + years of laboratory experience
This Research Assistant III (RA-III) will have the primary responsibility of handling and maintaining our mouse colonies
consisting of inbred and genetically altered knockout and transgenic mouse strains. This primary responsibility will entail
tail DNA genotyping, setting up breeding to obtain desired animals of specific genetic background, background, and other
related activities. Additional job responsibilities will involve basic molecular biology, tissue culture, and/or protein chemistry
experiments. As needed, this RA-III will also assist laboratory members--i.e., students, fellows, research faculty, staff
scientists--with experiments under minimal supervision.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Under minimal supervision, plan, conduct and evaluate experiments and assays of varying complexity.
Plan and coordinate experiments in conjunction with Principal Investigator (PI).
* Understand and follow experimental protocols (may include animal handling, tissue culture, etc.)
* Record, compile, interpret, and communicate data/results.
* Follow University safety protocols (may include use of combustibles, radioactivity, toxic material, and/or carcinogens)
* Perform calculations involving molarity, % solutions, and serial dilutions.
* Prepare, operate and troubleshoot equipment in experimental procedures.
* Recommend equipment and supplies needed for research projects.
* Read and follow all equipment manuals.
* Maintain and repair equipment according to manufacturer and university guidelines.
* Ensure laboratory is prepared for experiments.
* Maintain inventories.
* Maintain sterile conditions as required.
* Prepare reagents.
* Assist PI in modifying procedures and techniques.
* Recognize problems and suggest solutions, assist in modifications.
* Recommend improvements to established techniques and/or protocols.
* Maintain personal knowledge of scientific trends through literature reviews, attendance at meetings, conferences and seminars.
* Provide appropriate written/oral documentation of experiments
* Prepare research progress reports.
* Analyze and summarize test results.
* Preparation and oral presentation of data as required
* Assist in the effective operation of the laboratory.
* Train other employees.
* Supervise projects and/or personnel.
Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience), - Prefer 4 + years of laboratory experience
Internal Number: 2001890
About Vanderbilt Health
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.